NEW YORK, April 18, 2017 – Five ties among teams that finished the 2016-17 NBA regular season with identical records were broken today through random drawings to determine the order of selection for NBA Draft 2017 presented by State Farm, which will be held on Thursday, June 22.
The drawings were conducted by NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations Kiki VanDeWeghe in Secaucus, N.J, and broadcast live on NBA TV. The tiebreaker process was overseen by Denise Pelli, a representative from the accounting firm of Ernst & Young. (To view the drawings, click here.)
The results of the drawings:
- Minnesota (31-51) won a tiebreaker with New York.
- Portland (41-41) won a tiebreaker with Chicago.
- Milwaukee (42-40) won a tiebreaker with Indiana.
- Atlanta (43-39) won a tiebreaker with Memphis.
- The LA Clippers (51-31) won a tiebreaker with Cleveland, Toronto and Utah. Second, third and fourth place in the tiebreaker drawings went to Utah, Toronto and Cleveland, respectively.
Below is the order of selection for NBA Draft 2017 presented by State Farm and the number of chances for teams in NBA Draft Lottery 2017, which will be held on Tuesday, May 16.
2017 FIRST-ROUND DRAFT CHOICE ORDER
The first three picks in the draft will be determined by the lottery and the remainder of the “lottery teams” will select in positions 4 through 14 in inverse order of their consolidated standings at the end of the regular season. The teams entered in the lottery are as follows, with their chances of winning the lottery out of 1,000: