San Diego, Saturday, 5:57 p.m.
Welcome to what will end up being the longest-lasting Ratke on the Road blog ever. Some say it could never be done. Some doubted us. One person even changed my account information to post on Timberwolves.com.
BUT HERE WE ARE.
Day 1 in San Diego for the team’s training camp. I’ll be here with the team through training camp and then through the trip to China.
Why me, you ask?
Luckily, I overhead the conversation.
“Kyle has a cat. We think that’s his best friend which is somewhat weird, but let’s move along. He plays video games. His diet consists of dry cereal, Red Bull and Cheese-Its. We don’t particularly like him at work. He doesn’t wear socks. Plus, we’ve already asked eight people to go and they said no. This sounds like a great road trip for him!’
Okay, that’s not true. I do wear socks. They are just no-show socks. It’s 2017. People don’t need to see your socks.
Twenty days or 19 days or whatever is a long time. But a my friend (not my cat) told me this morning how lucky I am to be on this trip and how I’ll look back and be like, “Man, I’m lucky.” So yeah, I feel good about this.
We have a lot to catch up on, so let’s hammer through this quick.
Ten non-basketball highlights from this trip so far:
- I had the middle seat on my flight. I’d rather stand.
- Upon my San Diego arrival, I got some grub at the bar at my hotel. The bartender was a Cubs fan and we complained about Midwest weather and how San Diego was so great. And then I asked if they had any job openings (just kidding, bosses!).
- I have a patio and if I stand up, I can see the pool. But if I stand up, I look like I’m creeping on the pool. I stretch laying down.
- For breakfast, I had a bag of Chex Mix.
- After practice today, I pulled up my app to get a ride back home. The driver drove around in like 18 circles. Called me. Yelled at me. And then canceled the ride. Fun times.
- There’s a Whole Foods close to me and I got a free cheese sample. That was fun.
- I purchased animal crackers and chocolate covered almonds at Whole Foods. I’m 12 years old.
- The NBA is a pretty great place to work.
- There’s a 48 percent I packed a few dirty clothes with me on my trip unintentionally. If I said intentionally, that’d be weird.
- This should be No. 2, but I just remembered this. I watched a Bernie Madoff movie on my flight here with Robert De Niro and Michell Pfeiffer. I suggest you watch it. It’s fantastic. HBO I think.
I’m going to go crush some animal crackers.
I’ll check in tomorrow morning.